Non-partisan software developer

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Avalon and XAML

It's about time... Avalon and XAML are pretty much where UI should be. I am learning more about XAML and not sure it's the absolute simplest markup for designing GUIs in but it works and is 1000% better than writing imperative language such as C# / Java etc...

I really wonder if the Sun guys are going to build something similar...they'd probably use something like SVG but the concepts would be the same. Flash would work well as a rendering engine but probably better off building on OpenGL.

1 comment:

Rob Relyea said...

Glad to hear you like Avalon and XAML. As we were designing it, one of the key Tenets was that Markup == OM.

So, when we are designing markup to represent a Style...we also were designing the object model for the Style class.

I've blogged about some of our goals here:
Our 7 goals for XAML

Anyway, I mention this because of your comment about ease of use.

Our goals included both toolability and human readable/writable. Often those goals conflict.

On balance, I think people will like where we ended up.

Love to hear feedback.

Thanks, Rob Relyea
Program Manager, WPF Team
my blog